Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sunday in Kauai; February 10, 2008

We made the hour drive to Ohana Christian Fellowship. It's a Free Chuch that meets at the Kapa'a Middle School. Pastor Matt Victor planted the church about 9 years ago. The worship included a ukulele and one song with hula dancers! Whoa! But no bellies were showing. We stayed for the meal they laid out for everyone. Great home-cooked Hawaiian food...yummm.
After lunch we drove back up to West Anini Beach. We didn't get a chance to snorkel there the other day. The current was really strong and it took a lot of work to get around but we did see some fish including a spotted puffer, but not nearly as many as at Poipu beach. After hanging out with a mother green turtle and her baby we booked it back to shore. The waves crash on the reef at W. Anini about 200 yards from shore. The beach itself is about a quarter mile long.
Sue has wanted to boogie board since we've been here so we took off for East Anini Beach. A bunch of surfers were at the west end of the beach but there were at least 4 foot waves where we were at. A huge cruise ship was slowly steaming by.
Get this, while I was floating around I saw a girl paddle by on a surfboard with platinum blond hair. Then I noticed that it was Bethany Hamilton! I said, "Are you Bethany?" She said, "Yes." I said, "Our youth group saw your video and it was an inspiration to them." She said, "Thanks." I said, "I know you're busy, so I'll let you go." She said, "Oh, that's alright." And I paddled off so I wouldn't get smacked by a surfboard or be accused of being a Christian paparazzi.
From there we tried to make it to the lighthouse but the road was already closed.
We decided to have a picnic supper at Hanalei Beach...kinda chilly since the sun was already setting. I called Jeff and he said it is -9 degrees in Ames (-30 wind chill). Considering wind chill, I figure that we're enjoying temperature that is 100 degrees warmer than Ames!

No comments: